The Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, announced the UK Government’s Budget yesterday.
As everyone now works through the detail, it is increasingly clear that it was all style, no substance.
- Confirmed: worst economic crisis of any major economy thanks to Conservative Government decision-making.
- Nothing for our NHS and social care heroes – and a cut in NHS spending.
- Social security cut as unemployment spikes.
- Tax hikes, pay freezes and Universal Credit cuts squeezing family finances.
- No action to fix failing job schemes.
- Missing green recovery package.
- Over £14bn of cuts to public services planned for the rest of the Parliament.
- Capital spending cut by £500m when we need investment for our recovery.
- Chancellor and Community Secretary put their own constituencies top of the list for Levelling Up cash.
- Leaving the EU will cause a permanent 4% hit to our GDP.
- Silence on unsafe cladding