Nia started fighting opencast plans for Pentremawr by:
- Calling a public meeting so that people in Pontyberem and Ponthenri could question the developers face to face.
- Leading volunteers door-to-door to alert residents to the plans.
- Setting up of an action committee to produce detailed objections.
- Presenting a petition to the council.
- Lobbying councillors to stop the development by refusing to let the developers go over council-owned land.
Nia said, “The developers could not even guarantee any jobs for local people – just flith, noise, dusr and heavy lorries – all to extract less coal than Aberthaw power station uses in two months.”